Frequently Asked Questions
We specifically serve individuals and families who are nearing and/or in retirement.
To the select few who care deeply about their family and their community, Birchwood Capital is highly attractive. Those are the people with whom we want to do business with.
- Understand that the success of their retirement is too important to be doing it themselves
- Understand the value of having expert guidance.
- Are responsive
- Are diligent savers
- Aren’t chasing the next investment & agree with our investment philosophy
- Value a deeply personal relationship with an advisor
We help people retire confidently.
We understand how it feels to have questions and anxiety about retirement. Therefore, we guide clients through our “Birchwood Blueprint” process to help them find the solutions to the questions they have and the opportunities they might not be aware of.
By working with us, clients avoid these unfortunate consequences:
- Running out of money in retirement
- Missing out on the current tax saving opportunities
- Dying and leaving a mess
- Confusion about how your money is being invested
- Anxiety when the market crashes
- Hidden fees
- Postponing your retirement when you didn’t need to
- Hoping for the best regarding your health
Fortunately, the benefits of working with Birchwood include:
- A plan that will provide retirement income you can’t outlive
- Confidence knowing you have taken care of yourselves and your family
- A simplified investment portfolio that you understand
- Time savings by not having to manage portfolios yourself
- Security knowing you have a formula for when the market drops
- Fully taking advantage of all the tax savings the professionals know about
- A strategy for taking Social Security that maximizes the benefit
- Not leaving too much behind that you could have used during your lifetime
- A plan in case there’s a long-term care event
We make things simple, so clients can understand and take action.
- We cover how we can generate retirement income, protect assets, reduce taxes, and build an investment portfolio in one page.
We only do retirement planning.
- Our expertise lies in understanding Social Security strategies, tax planning strategies, and generating retirement Income
We “grow small” by design.
- While other large firms are incentivized to make their advisors handle hundreds of clients to enhance economies of scale, Birchwood’s goal is to build deep relationships and to keep its clients informed. We do this by limiting our numbers and keeping overhead low.
We believe an investment philosophy based in simplicity beats complexity and should be:
- Low-cost, utilizing index funds
- Diversified globally
- Behaviorally managed
$6,300 per year, per client relationship. Our fee does not differ for clients with large or small assets. This is because our services do not vary substantially between the clients we serve.
Furthermore, our compensation only comes from the clients we serve. We do not receive commissions or kickbacks by selling products.
The CFP® certification is the standard of excellence in financial planning. CFP® professionals are rigorously trained in 72 areas of financial expertise and must accrue thousands of hours of experience prior to earning their certification. Furthermore, they must commit to ethical standards that require them to put their clients’ interests first. (See CFB Board)
The Chartered Financial Analyst® (CFA®) credential is the most respected and recognized investment designation in the world. The curriculum covers academic theory, current industry practice, and ethical and professional standards to provide a strong foundation of advanced investment analysis and real-world portfolio management skills. A work experience requirement and an annual attestation to ethics ensure career long professional excellence by those who have earned the charter. (See CFA Institute)
Yes, our services and systems have been designed so that clients can easily work with us from any location.
No. This meeting serves as time to get to know one another and see if we are a great fit for one another. We will chat about your finances and goals, discover areas of opportunity, and discuss how we can move forward together. This is not a high pressure sales pitch.